Nigerians Launch Against South Africa-Owned Businesses

South African Business-Owners in Nigeria are jittery over a new wave of violence on their facilities as angry youths give ultimatum as a reprisal for the same treatment meted to them in their country.

In a seven-day warning issued by the Oodua Youth Coalition to all South African investors in Nigeria, the group gave an ultimatum to South African investors to leave the country or risk being attacked.

The group gave the warning while reacting to news of xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and their investments in South Africa.

President of the OYC, Oluyi Tayo, in a statement on Tuesday in Akure, Ondo State, said they would attack all South African businesses in the country at the expiration of the ultimatum.

Tayo said, “Oodua Youth Coalition is saddened and angered that South Africans, supported by the country’s authorities, is coordinating the looting and burning of Nigerian businesses and maiming and killing of our brothers and fathers in their land.

“It is unfortunate that South Africa, who under the apartheid regime had the support and solidarity of Nigerians and the government, are now turning around to inflict physical and psychological pains and injuries on our citizens.

“We have condoned the excesses of these South Africans whose businesses have been thriving in Nigeria without any form of physical and psychological attack.

“OYC has concluded plans to as a matter of urgency, attack all South African businesses and facilities spread across Nigeria especially in the Southwest region of the country.

“We, therefore, give these South African businesses a maximum of seven days to leave Nigeria or we will attack and burn them down.”

Meanwhile, Atiku Abubakar, who is the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the last general election, on Tuesday, called on the South African government and the African Union to urgently address the ongoing xenophobic attacks on foreigners in the country.

In a tweet recently via his verified Twitter handle, the former Nigerian Vice President condemned the attacks on Nigerians and pointed out that if nothing is done about the attacks, it might end up destroying the fabric of African brotherhood.

“Reported attacks against Nigerians in South Africa is unacceptable and stands condemned. Urgent steps need to be taken with the SA authorities and the African Union to bring an end to this ill wind that can only end up destroying the fabric of our African brotherhood,” Mr Abubakar noted.

Nigerians and other foreigners in South Africa have been the targets of attacks since last week when a taxi driver was killed by an alleged drug peddler in Pretoria.

Foreign-owned businesses have been looted and burnt in different parts of the country.

As of Monday, three persons had already been killed while one person was in the hospital being treated for smoke inhalation.

The South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Bobby Moroe, had been invited by the Minister of Foreign Affairs for a meeting over the attacks.

MTN’s Mobile Money Service ‘targets 98m Nigerians’

22,574 total views, 2 views today

Share this:
Share On Facebook
Share On Twitter
Share On Linkedin
Share On Pinterest

Comments are closed.