SA Insurtech Startup, NAKED Wins the 2019 MTN App of the Year Awards

Johannesburg-based insurtech startup Naked has emerged the overall winner of this year’s MTN App Awards. The awards were held last Thursday at the Sandton Convention Centre and spanned multiple categories including consumer, enterprise, healthcare, gaming, educational and financial solutions. Over 600 entries were submitted for this year’s edition.


Naked, which was founded in 2016 by Sumarie Greybe, Ernest North and Alex Thomson, scooped the best financial solution and best app accolades for their end-to-end artificial intelligence (AI) based car insurance solution with their app offers. The app uses cutting-edge artificial intelligence and chat-bots to give consumers insurance cover at the touch of a smart-screen in under three minutes. The app is almost fully automated to manage clients’ policies, keeping costs lower while driving greater efficiency.

Some of Naked’s team members, with co-founders Ernest North (far left)

Users have constant control over when and how much cover they have, and all claims and processing are done via the app. Naked Insurance charges a fixed fee of 20% of premiums for costs and some profit.  The remaining 80% of annual profit after claims, is given to local communities.

MTN SA CEO_Godfrey Motsa

“We at MTN Business were very impressed to see the calibre of entries in this year’s competition.  It’s truly rewarding to see how this premier app development platform continues to grow from strength to strength,” says Wanda Matandela, Chief Enterprise Officer of MTN Business.

“Ultimately, this is at the heart of everything that we do – it’s about creating platforms that enable innovators and entrepreneurs. Our congratulations go out to Naked Insurance for taking the top spot this year. They join a club of elite previous winners whose apps have gone on to become household names.”

The startup won a trip to Silicon Valley valued at R200 000 to connect with other cutting-edge businesses.

Ernest North, one of the co-founders of Naked said in a statement last Friday (25 October) that with “so many great apps” on show at the awards, it was inspiring to see how many entrepreneurs were using technology to change lives.

“We are truly humbled that from 600 entries, Naked won this year’s MTN App Awards.

“I’m so proud of the team that had the courage to build our system from scratch, with the clear goal of transforming car insurance from a grudge purchase into a transparent, convenient and simple customer experience,” added North.

The other winners from this year’s MTN App Awards are: .

  • Most Innovative Solution: SI Realities
  • Best Gaming App: Lost Defence
  • Best South African App: Franc
  • Best Health Solution: Vula Mobile
  • Best Educational Solution: Matric Live
  • Best Women in Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (Stem) Solution: My Pregnancy Journal and LocTransie
  • Best Incubated Solution: LocTransie
  • Best Agricultural Solution: Hydra
  • People’s Choice Award: Bottles
  • Best Consumer App: Over
  • Best Enterprise App: Digger
  • Best Breakthrough Developer: Mo Wash

READ MORE: Neo Hutiri, A 31-yr-old South African Engineer Has Won the Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation

6,582 total views, 150 views today

Share this:
Share On Facebook
Share On Twitter
Share On Linkedin
Share On Pinterest

Comments are closed.