s El Rufai
News - 49 minutes ago

DSS Files 3-Count Charge Against ex-Gov El-Rufai

Nigeria’s Federal Government has filed a three-count criminal charge against former Kaduna State governor Nasir El-Rufai, alleging that he unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

The case was filed at the Federal High Court, Abuja, through the Department of State Services. The government also alleged that the offence was carried out with other individuals who are currently said to be on the run.

According to the charge, the government claims El-Rufai admitted involvement while speaking on Arise TV during a prime-time programme on February 3. The prosecution is relying on this claim as part of its basis for bringing the charges.

One count is said to be brought under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act 2024, which deals with unlawful interception and related offences.

In a second count, the government alleges that El-Rufai knew the NSA’s communications had been unlawfully intercepted but did not report the matter to the appropriate security authorities.

The charge also alleges that the use of technical equipment to intercept the NSA’s calls endangered public safety and national security and created fear among members of the public. This allegation is linked to Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act 2003.

El-Rufai, who previously served as Minister of the Federal Capital Territory under former President Olusegun Obasanjo, has also been described in the filing as a prominent member of an opposition coalition critical of President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

As of now, the allegations remain before the court, and the next steps will depend on court proceedings, including arraignment and the government’s presentation of evidence.

Leave a Reply

Check Also

Remote Jobs That Pay in Dollars Nigerians Are Overlooking

When Nigerians discuss remote work that pays in dollars, the conversation often centres on…