Is Al-Hilal a Great Move for Victor Osimhen
Sports - September 9, 2024

Mikel Explains Why Osimhen’s Chelsea Deal Fell Through: ‘He’s Not Greedy’

Former Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel has opened up about why Victor Osimhen’s much-anticipated move to Stamford Bridge fell apart, despite being very close to completion.

According to Mikel, the Nigerian striker’s transfer to Chelsea was nearly finalized this summer, but minor contractual issues ultimately prevented the deal from going through.

In an episode of his Obi One podcast, Mikel addressed rumors surrounding the failed transfer. He made it clear that the collapse of the deal wasn’t due to greed on Osimhen’s part, but rather unresolved details before the transfer deadline.

“There’s a lot being said about Victor, people calling him greedy, asking him to take a pay cut and go to Chelsea,” Mikel said.

“But I know him, and that’s just not true. He’s not greedy. He simply wants to be fairly compensated for his abilities, and there’s nothing wrong with that.”

Osimhen, who had been linked to Chelsea throughout the summer, was reportedly keen on fulfilling his dream of playing in the Premier League.

However, the transfer fell apart on deadline day, and the striker eventually secured a loan move to Turkish side Galatasaray.

Rumors suggested that high wage demands—reportedly around £500,000 a week—were the reason Chelsea backed out of the deal. However, Mikel denied these claims, insisting that wages were not the issue.

“He wasn’t asking for crazy amounts of money,” Mikel explained. “I was involved in everything, and I know that wasn’t the problem.

Victor just wants to play football and be paid what he deserves. A player knowing their worth is not an issue.”

Mikel, who captained Nigeria’s national team during Osimhen’s early international career, revealed he played an active role in trying to finalize the transfer.

He worked closely with both Chelsea and Osimhen’s team, staying up late into the night to keep negotiations on track.

“We were very close to getting the deal done,” Mikel said. “But there were just a few small issues—paperwork, medical checks—that we couldn’t resolve in time.”

Mikel described how he personally stayed up for days trying to get everything sorted. “I didn’t sleep for two days. I was in Dubai, which has a time difference, so I had to wait for calls from both sides. It was exhausting.”

Despite Osimhen’s eventual move to Galatasaray, Mikel emphasized that Chelsea was always the striker’s first choice. Osimhen also received a substantial offer from Saudi club Al-Ahli, but turned it down, showing his commitment to joining Chelsea.

“I know Victor wanted to join Chelsea, not for the money, but because he has something to prove in Europe and in the Premier League,” Mikel added.

“He wanted to help Chelsea get back to where they should be, and he knows he can score plenty of goals in the Premier League.”

Though the deal didn’t go through, Osimhen has expressed excitement about his new opportunity with Galatasaray.

“When I heard about Galatasaray’s interest, it was an easy decision,” Osimhen said on the club’s website. “I know how big the club is, and I’m excited to join this family and play in front of such incredible fans.”

While the Chelsea move didn’t materialize, Osimhen’s future remains bright, and he is expected to attract further interest from top European clubs in the future.

Leave a Reply

Check Also

Building MOI Awards 2025: What It Took to Stage a World-Class Show in Lagos

When the curtains rose at the Landmark Event Centre on November 29, 2025, and guests in bl…