The end of the 2022 Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham saw some countries go home with gold medals, and the Nigerian team was not left out of the group. With Australia leading with 67 gold medals, Nigeria took the seventh position with twelve gold medals leading South Africa with five gold.
In total, the team earned 35 medals: 12 gold, nine Silver and 14 bronze medals. Here is a breakdown of the commonwealth games list of Team Nigeria’s gold.
- Adijat Adenike Olarinoye (Gold, Women’s 55kg).
- Rafiatu Folashade Lawal (Gold, Women’s 59kg)
- Chioma Onyekwere (Gold, Women’s Discus Throw).
- Amusan Tobi (Gold, Women’s 100m Hurdles).
- Amusan Tobi, Ofili Favour, Chukwuma Rosemary, Nwokocha Nzubechi Grace, Udo Joy Gabriel Chinenye (Gold, Women’s 4 x 100m).
- Ese Brume (Gold, Women’s Long Jump)
- Goodness Chiemere Nwachukwu (Gold, Women’s Discus Throw F 42-44/61-64).
- Eucharia Njideka Iyiazi (Gold, Women’s F55 – 57 Shot Put)
- Alice Folashade Oluwafemiayo (Gold, Women’s Heavyweight).
- Adekuoroye Odunayo (Gold, Women’s Freestyle 57kg)
- Oborodudu Blessing (Gold, Women’s Freestyle 68kg).
- Genesis Mercy (Gold, Women’s Freestyle, 50kg).
2022 Commonwealth Games
On December 21st 2020, Birmingham was announced as the hosting country for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. The Birmingham 2022 game is the biggest multi-sport competition with 72 participating countries.
It occurs every four years among the 56 member states of the commonwealth countries. These countries are previous territories of the British Empire. To make up the 72 countries, 18 countries that do not compete separately in the Olympics but compete in the Commonwealth Games under their flags.
The game which started on July 28, 2022, and ended on August 8th 2022, is the first major integrated international multi-sports that includes both para and non-para games. Here are the countries that participated in the event.
Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Cameroon, Canada, Cayman Islands, Cook Islands, Cyprus, Dominica, England (Host), Eswatini, Falkland Islands, Fiji, The Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guernsey, Guyana, India, Isle of Man, Jamaica, Jersey, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Montserrat, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Niue, Norfolk Island, Northern Ireland, Pakistan, Papa New Guinea, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Scotland, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Wales, Zambia.
Nigeria’s Afrobeat singer Oladapo Oyebanji with the stage name D’Banj has been arrested an…