Abdul Samad Confirms $500,000 Pledge to Super Eagles for AFCON 2025
Sports - January 15, 2026

Abdul Samad Confirms $500,000 Pledge to Super Eagles for AFCON 2025

Abdul Samad Rabiu, chairman of BUA Group, has confirmed he will pay the previously announced $500,000 pledge to Nigeria’s Super Eagles even though the team did not reach the AFCON 2025 final.

The confirmation came after Nigeria’s campaign ended at the semifinal stage, where the Super Eagles lost to host nation Morocco in a penalty shootout. The game finished level after regulation time, but Morocco progressed after winning the shootout 4–2.

In a statement shared on his official social media account, Rabiu praised the team’s effort and said the pledge would be honoured in full as recognition for the discipline, commitment, and national pride the squad generated during the tournament.

He described the players’ performance as courageous, saying they “fought with their hearts,” gave everything on the pitch, and earned the pride of Nigerians at home and abroad. He added that while results matter, the spirit and unity the team created mattered just as much and deserved to be rewarded.

Rabiu reiterated that Nigeria’s exit would not change his decision. According to him, the pledge is a token of appreciation for the team’s hard work, dedication, and the sense of joy and togetherness they brought to the country throughout the competition.

What the pledge was meant to cover

Rabiu’s $500,000 commitment was part of a larger incentive package he announced earlier in the tournament to push the Super Eagles toward a fourth AFCON title.

The package was performance-based.

Nigeria would earn $500,000 for winning the semifinal and reaching the final. A further $1 million would be paid if the team went on to win the trophy.

With Nigeria failing to qualify for the final, the $500,000 component was no longer triggered by the original terms. Rabiu’s new statement effectively converts that incentive into a standalone reward for effort and overall tournament performance, rather than a strict “win-to-earn” payout.

Why the decision matters

Rabiu’s decision has drawn attention because it signals how private-sector figures are increasingly stepping into Nigeria’s football ecosystem often filling motivation and welfare gaps that have repeatedly surfaced around major tournaments. 

For years, the national team’s preparations have been complicated by recurring disputes over bonuses, allowances, and logistics. Those issues are not just administrative headaches; they can affect morale, focus, and the country’s performance on the biggest stages.

Rabiu’s pledge also became part of a wider public conversation about how Nigeria funds its football ambitions and how quickly player welfare matters become national controversies during tournaments.

The backdrop: welfare concerns in camp

The pledge and its timing came against reported tension within the Super Eagles camp during the tournament. Ahead of the quarterfinal stage, there were reports that players considered boycotting training and travel arrangements over unpaid bonuses and allowances.

It was the kind of standoff Nigerians have seen before: players demanding what they are owed, officials insisting processes must be followed, and the team’s performance hanging in the balance.

That situation was eventually resolved after federal intervention. Shehu Dikko, chairman of the National Sports Commission, later offered clarification, stating that President Bola Tinubu had approved the Super Eagles’ full AFCON 2025 budget on November 14, 2025. 

He said the delay that triggered concern was administrative, not political, and that the approval aligned the National Sports Commission, the Nigeria Football Federation, and the players.

A strong run, another near miss

On the pitch, Nigeria’s run was defined by consistency. The Super Eagles entered the semifinal as one of the tournament’s steadier sides, built on a disciplined defensive shape and quick counter-attacks.

Against Morocco, Nigeria held its own in open play, but the contest went to penalties, where the hosts converted four spot-kicks to book a place in the final.

The defeat extends Nigeria’s wait for an AFCON title since the team’s last triumph in 2013 another close call on a continent where margins are thin and pressure is heavy.

Leave a Reply

Check Also

How the World Can Build 1.2 Billion New Jobs

The world is being shaped by two kinds of forces. Some hit fast and loud wars, market shoc…